Golf Betting Preview – Ian Poulter looks a good each-way bet for Open Championship 2018
July 18, 2018
Open Championship 2018 Winner – Ian Poulter (each-way) @ 66/1 with bet365
The third golf major of the year, the Open Championship 2018, takes place in Carnoustie, Scotland this year, for what will be the eighth time the venue has held the event.
This will be the 147th edition of the Open Championship and this year’s event looks incredibly competitive. Carnoustie is as tough as it gets, particularly if the weather conditions become adverse.
Four of the previous seven Opens held at the course have been won with a score over par and the last two provided plenty of late drama, with the infamous late collapse of Jean Van De Velde in 1999, when on the 72nd hole he blew a three-shot lead after finding the Barry Burn.
Open Championship 2018 Betting Tips
- Open Championship 2018 Winner – Ian Poulter (each-way) @ 66/1 with bet365 Visit T&Cs Apply
- Dustin Johnson to Win Open Championship 2018 @ 12/1 (13.00) With Centerbet Visit T&Cs Apply
- Rory McIlroy to Win Open Championship 2018 @ 18/1 (19.00) With Bet365 Visit T&Cs Apply
- Spieth to Win Open Championship 2018 @ 20/1 (21.00) With Bet365 Visit T&Cs Apply
- Justin Rose to Win Open Championship 2018 @ 22/1 (23.00) With Plamerbet Visit T&Cs Apply
- Thorbjorn Olesen to Win Open Championship 2018 @ 100/1 (101.00) With Bet365 Visit T&Cs Apply
Experience can be crucial at the Open Championship and age appears to be no barrier. Also, playing in the Scottish Open a week earlier generally seems to be the best preparation. Last year’s winner Jordan Spieth doesn’t really tick either of those boxes, but he was something of an exception to recent history.
Most of the focus ahead of the tournament is on the likes of Dustin Johnson, a 12/1 (13.00) shot at Centrebet, Rory McIlroy at 18/1 (19.00) with bet365*, Spieth at 20/1 (21.00) with bet365* and Justin Rose at 22/1 (23.00) with Palmer Bet. All are clearly potential contenders for the Claret Jug, but the value bet could be elsewhere.
Ian Poulter could be the man to back at 66/1 (67.00) with bet365*. Poulter has previously finished second and third at the Open, so knows what’s required. He also won the Houston Open earlier this year, claiming his third victory on the PGA Tour. Although well down the leaderboard at the end, Poulter had four solid rounds at the Scottish Open to finish at -9. Do note that bet365* are paying 1/5 odds for eight places at this year’s tournament, so that gives you a decent chance at big odds.
Another interesting outsider is Thorbjorn Olesen at 100/1 (101.00) also with bet365*. The 28 year-old Dane is a recent Italian Open winner, a former winner of the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship (in 2015) and has a top 10 finish at the Open to his name in 2012.
* Odds correct at the time of writing