Youngstar looks the pick for Caulfield Cup 2018
October 17, 2018
First run way back in 1879, the Caulfield Cup has a long and rich history in Australian racing and the race is the pinnacle event of the Caulfield Cup Carnival, and the major attraction of Caulfield Cup Day.
Caulfield Cup Betting Odds
- Kings Will Dream to win at 5 with Pointsbet T&Cs apply Visit T&Cs Apply
- Night’s Watch to win at 8.00 with Ladbrokes T&Cs apply Visit T&Cs Apply
- Ace High to win at 11 with Unibet T&Cs apply Visit T&Cs Apply
- The Cliffsofmoher to win at 7 with Betfair T&Cs apply Visit T&Cs Apply
- Youngstar to win at 5.50 with Bet365 T&C's apply Visit T&Cs Apply
Last year’s winner was Boom Time and the joint 9/2 favourites with bet365 bookmakers* going into this year’s race are Kings Will Dream and Youngstar.
Trained by Darren Weir and with Craig Williams doing the steering, Kings Will Dream was the long time Caulfield Cup betting favourite (TopBetta at 5.00, Unibet at 5.00 and Ladbrokes at 5.00) until his somewhat underwhelming run in the Turnbull Stakes. His runs prior to the Turnbull all suggested he was going to be a leading contender in the Caulfield Cup race and, with a good drop in weight here, he still looks a major threat.
Youngstar is trained by Chris Waller and ridden by Kerrin McEvoy. With the exception of the legendary Winx, she put in the best run in the Turnbull Stakes and arguably the entire meeting at Flemington that day. Her two starts before that were both very impressive and with only 51kg on her back, Youngstar looks to be the one to beat on Saturday.
Other leading contenders include the Aidan O’Brien trained, Cliffs Of Moher, who finished off with the fastest sectionals in the Caulfield Stakes last Saturday and Night’s Watch, who had a disappointing run in G1 company in the Caulfield Stakes last Saturday that does see him drop a lot of weight here.
* Caulfield Cup betting odds correct at time of writing